If you’ve decided to propose, you may be wondering how to find her engagement ring size without her knowing. Especially if you want to plan a surprise marriage proposal, determining her ring size can be just as important as picking the cut of the diamond or finding a slim engagement ring box to keep it hidden.
To propose when she least expects it with a ring that fits her perfectly, try some of these tried-and-true tricks!
1. Trace the inside of one of her rings on a piece of paper, and take it to the jeweler. Many jewelers will be able to measure the circle or determine her ring size just by looking at it.
2. Borrow one of her other rings. If your girlfriend wears a lot of jewelry, you may be able to find a ring to borrow for a day or two without her noticing. Just make sure it’s one that she actually wears on her ring finger so it’s the proper size. Take it straight to the jeweler, and see if they can measure it to find her size.
3. Make an impression in a bar of soap. This may sound strange, but it’s a sneaky way to get her measurement without having to borrow a ring for a day. Choose a ring she wears on her ring finger, and then take the impression to the jeweler to examine.
4. Measure her finger while she sleeps. Is she a deep sleeper who’s been known to sleep through even the loudest of noises? If that’s the case, you may be able to get away with wrapping a piece of string lightly around her ring finger while she’s sleeping! If you can make it happen, this is a precise way for the jeweler to easily find her size.
5. Make a craft together. If you have a young child in your family, or are babysitting for a friend, suggest the idea of making a fun craft where you trace your hands. A few days later, sneakily take the craft to the jewelry store to see if they can measure her finger and give you a size.
6. Ask her friends. Even if her friend doesn’t know her ring size off the top of her head, she may be able to find a stealthy way to bring it up. When they’re together, they could take turns trying on each other’s rings. If your friend notices her ring is too tight or loose on your girlfriend’s finger, you may be able to get an idea of her size.
7. Take her shopping. If she loves to shop and frequently buys fashion jewelry, go along with her! Pay attention to any rings she buys — the size is often printed on the paper backing or price tag.
Depending on your relationship, you may also be able to find a natural way to come out and ask for her ring size. But if you want to keep the surprise, don’t stress about it! She can always get the ring resized if it doesn’t fit perfectly. No matter what, your proposal should be about your love and the future you want to create together.
Get started by finding her ring size and considering a skinny engagement ring box from Ring Stash to keep the diamond protected!0